Police detain kidnap suspect, rescue 7-year-old victim

The Police Command in Lagos State has detained a 32-year-old suspect for allegedly kidnapping a seven-year-old child.

The command spokesperson, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed this in a statement on Thursday in Lagos.

He said that the suspect kidnapped the child on Monday at the Alapere area of the state.

“On Aug. 25, the victim’s father reported at Alapere Police Division that his son had been taken away from his house without his consent by his painter.

“Shortly after, the suspect called the victim’s mother, demanding N7 million as ransom for the child’s release.

“Following the report, the case was transferred to the Special Squad 1 of the Command for a discreet investigation,” he said.

Hundeyin said that on Wednesday, operatives tracked down the suspect and the victim was safety rescued.

“The operatives traced the suspect to Ijegun area of the state, where he was apprehended and the victim rescued unhurt from a locked room where he had been held captive.

“The victim has since been reunited with his family, ” he said.

The Command’s spokesman said that the suspect had confessed to the crime, stating that he kidnapped the child to raise money for personal family needs.

According to Hundeyin, investigations are ongoing to uncover possible accomplices and evidence on the matter. He added and the case would be charged to court accordingly.

The spokesperson said that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Olohundare Jimoh, had reassured residents that the command would continue to deploy all available resources to combat crimes.

TNG Logo
ISSN: 3026-8362